What’s Canada Buying? October 30, 2012
- Big Honkin’ Ships “(Yesterday) the Government of Canada is holding an industry consultation to discuss in-service support for the Arctic offshore patrol ships (AOPS) and the joint support ships (JSS). These two classes of vessels will serve the Royal Canadian Navy. The AOPS are to be built by Irving Shipbuilding Inc., and the JSS by Vancouver Shipyards Co. Ltd., under the National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy (NSPS). “Industry engagement is a key element of the success of the National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy,” said the Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Public Works and Government Services and Minister for Status of Women. “Working closely with industry helps ensure the best value for Canadian taxpayers and contributes to a fair, open and transparent process.” …. In accordance with the 2010 NSPS announcement, the procurement of refit, overhaul and in service support for the fleets will be openly competed by industry, including all Canadian shipyards. Posted on MERX from October 17 to 25, the Letter of Interest invited interested companies to discussions to determine the best procurement strategy for Canada to obtain long term and sustainable in-service support for the AOPS and JSS. The AOPS will be used by the Royal Canadian Navy to conduct armed seaborne surveillance in Canada’s economic exclusion zone, including in the Arctic, while the JSS are planned to replace the Navy’s current auxiliary oiler replenishment vessels.”
- Wanted: “…. a Contractor, with a strong background in the planning and management of large business transformation projects, to develop a project charter and strategic plan to be used to guide the execution of the Defence Renewal Transformation Project ….” – list of who can apply here.
- “…. The Department of National Defence (DND) has a requirement to establish a Regional Individual Standing Offer (RISO) to provide a Vertical Wind Tunnel (VWT) facility enabling the Canadian Forces Land Advanced Warfare Centre (CFLAWC) and other select DND Units to conduct personnel freefall (FF) simulation training ….” - a bit more detail from bid package here.
- “…. Defence Research and Development Canada, Valcartier requires a Longwave infrared (LWIR) Airborne Hyperspectral Imaging Sensor capable of being operated in pushbroom or whiskbroom mode on board a small aircraft ….” for no more than $950K (GST/HST extra).
- Wanted: someone to help DRDC Valcartier figure out in detail what happens when things hit other things “DRDC Valcartier, Precision Weapons (WP) and Weapons Effects and Protection (WEP) sections plan and execute applied R&D programs and direct support to CF projects in the field of external and terminal ballistics. The sections have formed programs on vehicle and personnel protection as well as on small arms and flight mechanics. These programs, including their numerical simulation components are exten-sively sought out and more since future small arms research program (FSAR) and mild-traumatic brain injury projects were approved. External support is required mainly for converting CT-Scans images, RMI or X-ray images to CAD format, meshing of different threats and targets including the human body and performing Finite-Element (FE) studies using hydrocodes ….” – a bit more detail from an excerpt from the bid package here.