Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category
- Neighbours speaking to reporters say Martin Rouleau (a.k.a. Ahmad Rouleau) “had grown a beard and wore a turban and djellaba regularly.”
- Rouleau’s parents appear to have contacted police about their son’s behaviour, specifically because “he wanted to go and join the fighters of the Islamic state, a terrorist group that Canada has agreed to fight in Syria and Iraq”.
- Authorities reportedly took away Rouleau’s passport.
- “During the short pursuit that followed, the suspect may have contacted 911 indicating that it was “in the name of Allah.” “
- “He also attended the mosque of the Muslim Association of Haut-Richelieu in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Montérégie. VAT News was able to speak with a member of this place of worship has condemned the action of Mr. Rouleau Couture. “He came back, but it’s long since we had not seen. I did not see any change in his character, “said the volunteer. “We were discussing Islam. I’ve never asked him questions about his conversion.” Asked about the events of the day, the man said that it gave a “bad image” of Islam. “…. I did not think he would do that, “he said.”\
For more, here’s Ahmad Rouleau’s Facebook page, Ahmad Rouleau’s Twitter feed ( with who he was following on Twitter) and his Uumaland (“Social Network for Muslims”) profile (while they’re all still online).
This from CTV News:
One of the two soldiers struck by a car in Quebec died late Monday in hospital, police confirmed Tuesday morning.
The soldier’s identity and age have yet to be released. However, the soldier was one of two Canadian Forces members who was struck by a car in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu in what is being described as a possible terror attack, CTV’s Montreal Bureau Chief Genevieve Beauchemin reported early Tuesday ….
Condolences to the family, colleagues and friends of the victim.
This from The Canadian Press:
“Quebec police say a motorist is dead from gunshot wounds and that he struck two members of the Canadian Forces with his car in an incident an MP cited in the Commons as a “possible terror attack.”
Provincial police Lt. Michel Brunet told a news conference the man died a few hours after being shot in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, southeast of Montreal.
Brunet said the 25-year-old was known to authorities.
Police say one of the two Canadian Forces members is in critical condition, while the other’s injuries are less serious ….”
This statement from the RCMP:
This individual was known to Federal authorities including our Integrated National Security Investigations team in Montreal who along with other authorities were concerned that he had become radicalized.
Out of respect and deference to the ongoing Criminal investigation arising from today’s terrible events the RCMP will not comment further except to say that we are working with our law enforcement partners to ensure all avenues of investigation are pursued.
More news here.
Here’s hoping for a full and speedy recovery by the wounded troops.
More, as it unfolds ….
- More of the latest from Ukraine here and here
- PM visits AFV plant, sends AFVs to 79th Airborne Brigade (Ministry of Defence, in Ukrainian)
- ” “You put on the breastplate of our soldiers and deliver the Ukrainian” - Yatsenyuk of Mykolaiv armored plant — Prime Minister of Ukraine Yatsenyuk during his working trip to Nikolaev on Saturday, October 11, Nicholas visited armored plant. Yatsenyuk awarded a certificate for the upgraded BTR-7Di purchased by public funds of the military in 2161. He also gave 79th separate airmobile brigade medical armored car. Due to it were collected on the initiative power Mykolayiv region. In its production costs 15 thousand told local residents ….” (Prime Minister’s web page, in Ukrainian)
- “The state will support the modernization of the Air Force – Poroshenko — Air Force will receive government support for reconstruction and modernization, President Poroshenko during his visit to Kharkiv University of Air Force Ivan Kozhedub. Turning to the future pilots, the President said: “You – our Ukrainian Falcons, because this bird always symbolized train man to heaven, and true freedom. That you defend the world Ukrainian heaven.” The President said a fundamental change in the attitude of people in the army ….” (Press Service of the President of Ukraine, in Ukrainian)
- “Territorial Defence Battalion Rivne fully equipped property in autumn and winter — Members of Rivne territorial defense battalion “Gorin”, which is involved in the tasks in the area of counter-terrorism operations in the east of Ukraine, provided all the necessary equipment for the fall and winter. In particular, while preparing for the cold season as a military unit received uniforms centrally by the Ministry of Defence and property of volunteers and sponsors Rivne. All incoming battalion “Gorin” accepted and recorded in the prescribed manner and issued to soldiers as required ….” (Ministry of Defence, in Ukrainian)
- “Mariupol give the military more than 100 temporary mobile homes — Ukrainian soldiers who carry out tasks for the protection of Mariupol and its environs, the decision of the local government passed the first movable block house. Thus, the basis metal structures were taken conventional 20-ton container that has been warmed, a bed and stove, and provides ventilation. This footage is set to a depth of 3 meters and the top is covered with reinforced concrete slabs. So our soldiers in their free time duty are stored in a warm place, well protected from shelling ….” (Ministry of Defence, in Ukrainian)
- “Prosecutor’s Office transferred to the court regarding the indictment of the military commander, omissions which led to the seizure of a large number of weapons — Garrison military prosecutor’s office in Donetsk completed pre-trial investigation and submitted to the court indictment on charges of military commander Colonel for hours. 2 tbsp. 426 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine (omission of military power, the deliberate failure military official action it in its duties was to perform that caused grave consequences). The investigation established that as a result of criminal inactivity military commander of June 28, 2014 a group of armed persons terrorist organization “People’s Republic of Donetsk” enthusiastically specified military unit ….” (Office of Public Relations and Media, General Prosecutor of Ukraine, in Ukrainian)
- “Military prosecutors Central Region submitted to the court indictment in military commissioner corrupted and his minions — Garrison Military Prosecutor Vinnytsia region of Central Ukraine completed pre-trial investigation in criminal proceedings in relation to the commander of the military unit – garrison commander, deputy district council, the district military commissar and citizens of Kyiv, which united in a criminal group with a clear division of roles during May – July 2014 demanded and received bribes for admission to military service under the contract ….” (Office of Public Relations and Media, General Prosecutor of Ukraine, in Ukrainian)
- “In the Donetsk region arrested the leader of commandos who prepared the explosive action of the liberated territory of Ukrainian military” (Security Service of Ukraine, in Ukrainian)
- “Luhansk militants detain Ukrainian MP” (unian.info)
- “Russia says ceasefire in Ukraine is holding despite lapses” (Voice of Russia)
- “Speaker ATO confirmed the creation of dividing lines between Ukraine and militants – Russian media” (unian.info, in Ukrainian)
- “MP urged not to believe the propaganda Putin’s “surrender” strategic assets in the east” (unian.info, in Ukrainian)
- “Combating Corruption in Ukraine will start from Donbass – Kikhtenko” (unian.info, in Ukrainian)
- “Ukrainian president to meet Putin” (European Commission news aggregator)
- “Ukraine leader says expects tough talks with Putin next week” (Reuters)
- “Ukraine, Russia leaders to meet in a bid to rescue truce” (Agence France-Presse)
- “Putin and Poroshenko to meet. No-shooting period agreed for Donetsk, Ukraine“ (Deutsche Welle)
- “Ukraine’s Military Prosecutor speaks on his unit’s investigations” (atocrimea.ukrinform.ua, joint UKR government-media site)
- More of the latest from Ukraine here and here
- ATO map, 2 Oct 14 (National Security and defense Council of Ukraine)
- ATO map, 1 Oct 14: English – Russian (dragon-first-1.livejournal.com, pro-separatist)
- “UA military continue battle for Donetsk airport, 4 attempts to storm were repelled already” (National Security and defense Council of Ukraine, via @NSDC_ua Twitter feed)
- “NSDC: One serviceman killed, 18 wounded in eastern Ukraine in past 24 hours” (Interfax-Ukraine)
- “134 police officers, National Guard soldiers killed, 628 injured in combat zone – Avakov” (Interfax-Ukraine)
- “In Kiev, said goodbye to the dead zone ATO unknown defenders of the Motherland — Today, October 1, Kiev residents said goodbye to the dead zone in the counterterrorist operation unknown defender. 56 unidentified soldiers buried with military honors at Kushuhumskomu town cemetery ….” (Ministry of Defence, in Ukrainian)
- “Russia’s Investigative Committee has launched a criminal case against Ukraine’s defense minister and the head of the country’s General Staff, committee spokesman Vladimir Markin said Thursday. “Russia’s Investigative Committee has launched a criminal case against Ukrainian Defense Minister Valeriy Heletei, Ukrainian Chief of General Staff Viktor Muzhenko, Commander of the 25th Brigade of Ukraine’s Armed Forces Oleh Mykasa, as well as other so far unidentified individuals among commanders of the 93rd Brigade and a number of highly-ranked officials from Ukraine’s military leadership,” Markin said ….” (RIA Novosti)
- “Kyiv establishes charitable fund to raise funds for ATO fighters” (Interfax-Ukraine)
- “Odessa Citizens are Digging Trenches together with Marines — Citizens of Odessa decided to help troopers of Southern Command of the Armed Forces of Ukraine to dig trenches around the city. The call to come and help troopers appeared on Tuesday in “Grazhdanskiy Manifest” Facebook community ….” (burkonews.info, pro-Ukrainian)
- “Women are making camouflage nets for armored personnel carriers in Dnepropetrovsk. Teachers, business women, housewives are gathering on weekends to make protection for the army with their own hands. The nets which are about 5 meters wide and 11 meters long should correspond to the autumn landscape ….” (burkonews.info, pro-Ukrainian)
- “Providing military winter clothing – a primary task for the National Guard Logistics Ukraine — To date, the decision of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine provided funding in the amount of UAH 97 million (CDN $ 8.3 million) to provide National Guard troops Ukraine winter uniforms. Command of the National Guard of Ukraine is doing everything necessary to time to order and prepare a sufficient number of sets of clothing for soldiers ….” (National Guard, in Ukrainian)
- “Identification of unidentified dead bodies in the area ATO will be at the expense of the state — During the period of the antiterrorist operation by the Internal Affairs registered over a thousand reports of detection of unidentified bodies. This was the first deputy chief of the Main Investigation Department of Interior Ministry of Ukraine Oleksandr Vakulenko ….” (Ministry of Internal Affairs, in Ukrainian)
- “October will be marked by voluntary surrender of weapons – MIA — From 1 st to 31 th October 2014 the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine held monthly voluntary surrender of weapons, ammunition, explosives and special tools. Citizens will be able to again voluntarily surrender to the police weapons stored in them in violation of applicable laws. According to part. 3. 263 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine (illegal handling of weapons, ammunition or explosives) similar initiative on the part of the citizen provides his release from criminal responsibility ….” (Ministry of Internal Affairs, in Ukrainian)
- “All points of the Ukrainian president’s peace plan, including local elections in certain districts of Donetsk and Luhansk regions on December 7 and strict control by the OSCE mission over the border with Russia, must be fulfilled. Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said this in a joint statement to the press after a meeting with Austrian Federal Chancellor Werner Faymann on Wednesday, a Ukrinform correspondent reported ….” (ukrinform.ua)
- “Yatseniuk expects approval of Ukraine’s new military doctrine” (Interfax-Ukraine)
- “German Chancellor urges Russian president to use influence over Ukraine rebels” (European Commission news aggregator)
- “No Ukraine Contact Group meeting as Ukraine refuses to attend — Russian lawmaker — Rada Speaker Oleksandr Turchynov informed PACE leaders that neither he nor the Ukranian delegation would attend, citing an election campaign underway in Ukraine as a formal pretext ….” (ITAR-TASS)
- “The PACE Election Monitoring Mission will arrive in Kiev on October 7 in the pre-election period to assess preparations for early parliamentary elections scheduled for October 26, the PACE press service said on Thursday ….” (ITAR-TASS)
- More of the latest from Ukraine here and here
- ATO map, 23 Sept 14 (National Security and defense Council of Ukraine)
- ATO map, 21-22 Sept 14 (dragon-first-1.livejournal.com, pro-separatist, in Russian)
- “Ukraine rebels say they are withdrawing heavy artillery from front line in step toward peace” – more (European Commission news aggregator)
- “Connections militia in accordance with the agreements implemented a partial withdrawal of artillery units from the contact line. At LNR Ukrainian troops have also begun to partial removal of military equipment and artillery previously occupied positions ….” (donetskiy.org, pro-separatist, in Russian)
- “Donetsk militia starts pulling back heavy weaponry under Minsk memorandum” (ITAR-TASS)
- “Russian envoy sees end to Ukraine crisis” (European Commission news aggregator)
- “OSCE adds 25 new monitors per week to Ukraine ceasefire mission” (ITAR-TASS)
- “Fighting flares at Ukraine’s Donetsk airport” (European Commission news aggregator)
- “Grave with beheaded bodies found on Ukrainian National Guard positions in eastern Ukraine“ (ITAR-TASS)
- “Ukraine strengthens defensive ability – President” (Press Service of the President of Ukraine, in Ukrainian)
- “The Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine will draw up by December 2015 a new wording of Ukraine’s military doctrine and the program for the development of the Ukrainian Armed Forces. This is stated in a plan on the implementation of the Association Agreement between Ukraine and the European Union, which the Cabinet of Ministers approved on September 17, 2014 ….” (ukrinform.ua)
- “Fulfilled its obligations Ukraine – President of amnesty laws and the special regime for local government area of some districts of Donetsk and Lugansk regions” (Press Service of the President of Ukraine, in Ukrainian)
- “Ten injured participants departed ATO for further treatment to the Republic of Estonia” (Ministry of Defence, in Ukrainian)
- “In Lviv 69 families whose relatives were killed during the ATO will receive a one-time targeted assistance – From the regional budget Lvischyny financed over 8 million UAH (CDN $ 652,000)lump-sum payment to help 69 families whose relatives were killed during anti-terrorist operations. “These funds are listed Department of Social Welfare for further provision of RSA recipients. The size of that assistance per household is 120,500 UAH (CDN $9,800), considering taxation “, – said the director of the Department of Finance State Administration Oleg Demkiv ….” (Lviv Regional State Administration, in Ukrainian)
- “Basil Stoyetskyy: In Slavyansk fully restored electricity and water” (Press Service of the State Service of Ukraine of Emergencies, in Ukrainian)
- “Elections in Donbass to be held November 2 — Luhansk Republic legislature’s speaker” (ITAR-TASS)
- “Summaries of the militia of New Russia …. Since the last report (September 1), we have received assistance in the amount of 4 million. 770,000 Rubles (CDN $22,000). Remains at 1.3 million (CDN $37,000) ….” (Strelkov Facebook page, in Russian)
- “In the accounts of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine within the “Support the Ukrainian army” received 149 million UAH (CDN $12.1 million)” (Ministry of Defence, in Ukrainian)
- “Teachers and students of the National Academy of SBU held in the Central Military Hospital MOD Ukraine concert for the wounded during anti-terrorist operations soldiers ….“ (Security Service of Ukraine, in Ukrainian)
- “In Ukraine massively come Hasidic pilgrims. This year they celebrate the 5775 Jewish New Year Rosh Hashanah, which runs from 24 to 26 September. In Uman, Cherkasy region expected arrival of pilgrims from 25 countries ….” (State Border Guard Service, in Ukrainian)
- “Director of Uman police talked with reporters about the readiness of law enforcement to protect public order during the celebration of Rosh Hashanah” (Ministry of Internal Affairs, in Ukrainian)