What’s Canada Buying? January 15, 2013
- “The Honourable Lisa Raitt, Minister of Labour and Member of Parliament for Halton, on behalf of the Honourable Bernard Valcourt, Associate Minister of National Defence and Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency) (La Francophonie), will participate in an important announcement (this morning) related to how the Government of Canada’s investments in our Canadian Armed Forces are supporting jobs in communities across our country ….”
- F-35 Tug o’ War Mark Collins on “More on the RCAF’s Chief Really Wanting the F-35″
- “Before Ottawa goes full steam ahead with an idea to power navy ships with biofuels, it wants to know if the cost of doing so will sink the plan. The federal government is soliciting proposals for how it might use biofuels to replace traditional diesel — assuming the price is right. “Naval vessels and platforms have traditionally operated by the use of fossil fuels to power many of their systems. Biofuels are environmentally much cleaner than fossil fuels, producing less air pollution and consuming some materials that would otherwise be considered garbage,” says a notice posted Monday. “Simply converting fossil fuel powered systems to biofuel-powered systems can be complicated and may become costly from the perspectives of financial, space and maintenance requirements, for example. “In order to determine if the costs incurred can be justified, the benefits or efficiencies gained must also be determined.” Those efficiencies include kilometres and dollars per litre, the amount of time and people needed to maintain the system, space and storage requirements and whether biofuels reduce emissions and generate much waste ….” – more from the bid’s Statement of Work here.
- “Defence Research and Development Canada (DRDC), Toronto, ON, is exploring the development and use of computer models of operators performing complex tasks, Human Behaviour Representations (HBRs), and related technologies to predict operator performance in complex environments supporting Modelling & Simulation (M&S) for the Department of National Defence ….”
- Wanted: 196 x “VIP signal lamp and accessories” for Canadian Rangers “for teaching purposes and use in developing safe and quick improvised airstrips in the Canadian North”
- I didn’t realize the RCAF had specific height requirements for their hotel accommodations “…. The Department of National Defence (DND) will be conducting flying operations in Miramar, San Diego, CA. The Contractor will provide accommodation services to 24 CF personnel for a total of 29 nights starting 24 Jan to 22 Feb 2013. All accommodations are not required at the same time and may flex to increase or decrease as required. Due to the stature of the guests staying at the establishment, require that the hotel hold a rating of 3 stars (or equivalent) or higher ….”
- Wanted: barbed wire