Archive for the ‘propaganda’ Category
Got a very quick response from DND’s Info-machine re: this story out of the Russian Foreign Ministry about Canada allegedly providing ammo to Ukrainian forces.
DND’s response by e-mail, short & sweet, in its entirety:
We received your request about references to Russia saying Canada is sending ammunition to Ukraine. Regarding allegations of a Canadian donation of ammunition to Ukraine, it is false. Here what the Ukrainian military had to say: https://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-politics/ukrainian-military-denies-receiving-ammo-canada.html.
More information on what the Government of Canada is providing to Ukraine can be found here: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/news/2017/03/canada_renews_itsmilitarycommitmenttoukraine.html.
Here’s another link to the UKR govt’s denial, given that the one DND shared is a subscriber-only link.
So begins Russia’s info-fight against Canada in Ukraine?
Re: Canada sending ammo to UKR, as reported by Russian state media, it must be true if the RUS Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson said it (link in Russian – Google Translate version below) …
… On the decision of Canada to extend its military instructor mission in Ukraine
With serious concern, they took Canada’s decision to extend for a period of two years its military mission in Ukraine. Within its framework, Canadian instructors are engaged in the so-called Ukrainian polygons. “Training” Ukrainian soldiers for subsequent shipment to the Donbass.
We consider such decisions and actions of the Government of Canada to be extremely dangerous. They interfere with the political settlement of the ongoing confrontation caused by the Kiev authorities. Moreover, according to the information available to us, the instructors are not limited to instructors – the Canadians began to supply ammunition for the Ukrainian armed forces, which will undoubtedly fall into the conflict zone.
Instead of exerting pressure on Kiev to compel it to fully fulfill its obligations under the Minsk agreements, Ottawa frankly favors the supporters of a forceful solution of the situation in the Donbass, and also condones the continuation of the bloodshed. In Canada, we must understand that the consequences of such policies and actions will be on their conscience …
… according to the information that we have, Canada has begun to supply the Ukrainian military with ammunition that is sure to be delivered to the conflict zone,” the Russian diplomat pointed out. “Canadians should realize that the consequences of such steps will be on their conscience.”
Canada has begun to supply the Ukrainian military with ammunition that is sure to be delivered to the conflict zone, Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova states.
By extending its military mission in Ukraine, Canada encourages the Ukrainian supporters using military force to resolve the Donbass conflict, Russian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said on Friday …
The General Staff of the Ukrainian Armed Forces has denied reports that Canada is providing ammunition to Ukraine.
“It’s not true. This statement is nothing but a cynical lie,” Bohdan Sennyk, the head of the Ukrainian General Staff press service, told reporters on Friday.
Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova earlier said Canada had started supplying ammunition to the Ukrainian authorities.
Am I riiiiiiiiiiiiight?
- A reminder: Nothing proven @ this point “RCMP investigation into alleged leaks prompts Canadian Forces vice-chief’s removal” – “Le vice-amiral Mark Norman relevé «temporairement» de ses fonctions” – “Vice-chief of defence staff ‘relieved’ of duties without explanation” – “Canada’s second highest-ranking military officer suspended” – “Explain, now, why vice chief of defence staff has been removed” – “Mark Norman, vice chief of the defence staff, removed from position” – “Vice-Admiral Norman’s removal from post shocks friends, colleagues” – “Top Canadian military commander Mark Norman relieved of post” – “Vice Chief of the Defence Staff Mark Norman removed from command” – “Senior Canada military officer suspended from duty, no reason given”
- “UNB establishes new cybersecurity institute” – “Canadian Institute for Cybersecurity opens at the University of New Brunswick” (Info-machine release)
- “Police in Abbotsford, B.C., aren’t sure if they’re dealing with a growing white supremacist problem or if a few “small-minded” people are behind the distribution of a pamphlet disparaging a holiday for Martin Luther King Jr. in the United States …” – “Awareness guide – extremist groups” (Royal Canadian Mounted Police)
- “Canada’s military inspectors will visit a military unit in Belarus under the 1990 Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe (CFE), the Belarusian Defense Ministry said Monday …”
- Whither NATO??? “Canada will do more for NATO if US withdraws” – “Canada has to reach into its pockets to pay for NATO if U.S. leaves: MP” – “Kremlin backs Donald Trump’s view that NATO is an ‘obsolete symbol of confrontation’ “ – “Europe, You’re on Your Own!” (NATO Association of Canada) – “Relax, NATO Isn’t Going Anywhere” (Political Violence at a Glance) – “A bit of context on Trump, NATO, and Germany”
- “Military strength in east of Latvia to get a boost — Latvia is to station a permanent military unit in the eastern Latgale region of the country in order to spread its forces more evenly, the Defense Ministry said January 16 …”
- “US deploys troops to Norway, irking Russia” – “US Marines Deploy to Russia’s Arctic Border in Norway” – “Cold War Apparitions Resurface as Norway Welcomes US Marines” (RUS state media) – “Des soldats américains arrivent en Norvège au grand dam de la Russie voisine”
- “1-68 Armor fires first rounds in Poland” (US DoD Info-machine) – “US Army deploys third ABCT troop to Poland” – “Reply by Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Maria Zakharova to a media question on the US troop buildup in Europe” (The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation)
- More on LTU’s Kaliningrad Fence “Lithuania plans fence on Russian Kaliningrad border” – “Fence on Border With Russia to Ensure Economic Security – Lithuania PM” – “Lithuanian PM: New border measures to ensure economic security”
- “Russia’s navy is engaging in its highest level of activity for more than 25 years, Britain’s First Sea Lord warns as Putin prepares for war”
- “Why Russia — a country with less money than Canada and fewer people than Nigeria — runs the world now”
- “What is Russia’s endgame in Libya?”
- From the Info-fight “InformNapalm experts gave lectures at Resilience League 2016 in Estonia” (InformNapalm.org)
- “Ukraine Files Action against Russia in International Court of Justice — Ukraine has filed a case in the International Court of Justice to hold the Russian Federation accountable for acts of terrorism and discrimination in the course of its unlawful aggression against Ukraine …” (UKR Foreign Affairs Ministry) – “Poroshenko instructs ministry to file lawsuit against Russia to UN International Court” – “Saying ‘Russia Must Pay,’ Kyiv Sues Moscow At UN Court” – “Moscow Vows to Use All Means of Legal Defense After Ukraine Files Lawsuit”
- “I Get By with a Little Help from my Friends …” “Ukraine seeks ‘clarity’ from Canada on continuation of military mission” – “Will Sajjan and Trudeau go back on their promise of Canadian support for Ukraine?” – “Ukraine’s envoy has told the Canadian Press news agency that his country is growing concerned about whether Canada will continue its future military support to his country to help it deal with Russian aggression …” – “Facing Trump-Putin axis, Ukraine turns to a white knight — Chrystia Freeland”
- “Ukrainian leader and OSCE chairperson-in-office discuss Donbas situation” – “President met with Chairperson-in-Office of the OSCE” (UKR President’s page)
- Updates from All Sides “Latest from the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine (SMM), based on information received as of 19:30, 15 January 2017” – UKR govt ATO map, 17 Jan 2017 – “Ukraine reports 41 militant attacks, 1 WIA in last day” – “AFU violate “ceasefire regime” 1076 times over 24 hours, helicopters and MRLS redeployed to front – (DNR’s) Basurin” – “Ukrainian military launch almost 180 mortar-shells on outskirts of Donetsk and Yasinovataya at night” – “If You Want Peace, Prepare For War ! ( Lugansk People’s Army Maj. Marochko ~ Military Report/Video)” – “LPR envoy: OSCE SMM confirms LPR demines Stanitsa area, Kiev fails to do it”
- “Military expert estimates probability of large-scale winter fighting in Donbas”
- “Ukraine develops brand new tank to become competitor for Russia’s Armata”
- “The situation in check points of entry and exit to the demarcation line” (UKR State Border Service, in Ukrainian)
- Minsk & Talks “Poroshenko hopes Donbas settlement roadmap may be signed in 2017” – “Issue of ICRC access to prisons in occupied territories and in Russia was discussed in Minsk – Gerashchenko” – “Implementation of Minsk agreement will continue – Presidential Administration” – “Separatists demand 700 hostages in exchange for 50 on their part – Gerashchenko” – “Lavrov says no grounds for rewriting Minsk agreements” – “DPR in Minsk insists on holding video-conference on issue of exchanging captives on January 18 – Morozova” – “Trilateral Contact Group positively evaluated restoration of water supply in Donbas”
- Elsewhere in the Neighbourhood … “Ambassador Wolf Dietrich Heim, OSCE Special Representative for Transdniestrian Settlement Process, to meet the sides between 17 and 20 January”
- “Support unit for ill, injured military personnel short 73 staff”
- “Veteran’s file fast-tracked after emotional plea to Trudeau in London, Ont.”
- ” ‘I felt exposed,’ alleged victim tells former medic’s court martial hearing” – “Court martial hears sex assault charges in connection with Windsor, Ont. and London, Ont. complaints”
- “How Untrained Canadian Conscripts Fought and Died in the Defense of Hong Kong” – “Canadians in Hong Kong” (VAC Info-machine)