Archive for the ‘The Political Circus’ Category
I’ve truly tried to give the new federal government the benefit of the doubt, trying to use the same yardsticks to measure them as I’ve used to measure other governments & leaders.
Then, this morning, this paragraph jumped out at me from this article (alternate link here if previous link doesn’t work) on Veterans Affairs Minister Kent Hehr talking about proposed pensions and the court case still in the courts:
“… Hehr told CTV’s Power Play Friday that the government is not “taking veterans to court,” but merely continuing a suit that has been “ongoing for years.” He said the lawsuit “was filed by veterans under the former government as a result of their lack of attention to veterans’ issues.” …”
I’m OK with blaming, in part, the previous government for not doing more. That said, let’s look at the coloured bits one at a time, shall we?
On the bit in red, the Trudeau Liberals are “continuing a suit”. Let me put it in short, simple words:
This. Government. Could. Have. Stopped. This. Litigation.
(Before you bash me for being anti-refugee, I’m not — both my parents came here post-WW2 from a war-damaged country.)
It abandoned another case dealing with rules about country of origin for refugees (also here in case that link doesn’t work anymore).
On that bit in green, both of these abandoned cases were also filed by people “under the former government as a result of their lack of attention” to, in this case, refugee issues.
These were dropped because it was the right thing to do, why wasn’t the veterans’ case dropped?
The government had a chance.
The government chose to continue in court, even when it stopped in other cases.
I continue to remain hopeful about veterans getting what they’re due. I wish the best of luck to those good people talking to the government on behalf of vets trying to get the best possible deal – keep pressing, all of you.
But I still worry that it’s a potentially huge price tag that prevents quicker action (and kept previous governments, even in a majority position, from going to pensions). And until someone makes that potential price tag public, nobody’s going to know how much of a sacrifice every Canadian will have to make to support our veterans.
To bastardize the hashtag VAC recommends sharing on Twitter:
- “NATO mulls deploying AWACS to Iraq, Syria” – “L’Otan envisage l’utilisation de ses Awacs par la coalition anti-EI” – “NATO may take on new air surveillance role in IS fight”
- “Washington Names ISIS Branches in Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Libya as Global Terrorists” – “Terrorist Designations of ISIL-Yemen, ISIL-Saudi Arabia, and ISIL-Libya” (U.S. State Department statement) – “Terrorism Designations FAQs”– “US adds three IS branches to terror list”
- “Resistance Front to Bury Takfiri Terrorists in Syria, Iraq: Iran’s Official”
- “Egypt’s Military Battling IS in Sinai, US General Says”
- “Why Islamic State Militants Care So Much About Sykes-Picot”
- “UN: Cease-fire Needed So Syrian Peace Talks Can Resume”
- “Distract, Deceive, Destroy: Putin at War in Syria”
- “U.S. and Turkey Clash Over Islamic State Lifeline to Syria”
- “Two Terrorist Commanders Killed in Hama in Syria”
- “Syrian government troops take rebel stronghold near Damascus”
- “Convoy with UNHCR aid reaches besieged Syrian farm town”
- “Foundations of the Islamic State: Management, Money, and Terror in Iraq, 2005–2010” (RAND)
- “Top US general arrives in Iraq for update on IS campaign”
- “Iraq announces recapture of western town Rutba from ISIL”
- “53 Killed in Iraq; Security Forces Draw Closer to Jordanian Border”
- ” “Peace Brigades” Deployed in Baghdad for Fight against ISIS Bombers”
- “Iraqi Air Force Drops Leaflets Over North”
- “Kurdish Counter-terrorism Forces Cripple IS”
- “Agreement bringing US troops to Libya could be reached ‘any day’ “
- “Friend or Foe? Doubts Plague US Military in Libya Training”
- “Libya: Daesh bombing kills 30 soldiers near Sirte” – “Daesh, Libyan army clash near Sirte, 28 killed”
- “The Kurds: A Divided Future?”
- “Following PUK-Gorran deal, Kurdish Islamic parties pledge to work together”
- “Canadians aboard crashed EgyptAir plane; terror attack possible” – “Terrorism suspected in EgyptAir crash; 2 Canadians on board” – More on EgyptAir 804 via Google News Search
- “Michael Byers: Canada — Russia’s toxic waste dump”
- “Canadian Rangers have a new national training program — Forty Canadian Rangers and ten Ranger instructors from the five Canadian Ranger Patrol Groups (CRPGs) will participate in a pilot Canadian Ranger Patrol Leader (CRPL) course, which will be held at Farnham Garrison, Quebec, from May 21 to 28, 2016 …”
- “Liberals, Tories Accuse Each Other Of Hypocrisy Over Veterans Lawsuit” – “Hauling veterans back to court over benefits a ‘disgrace,’ opposition says”
- “Canadian Korean War vet denied placement in Halifax veterans’ hospital”
- “Canadian veteran, doctor, and Invictus Games medallist”
- “Man allegedly wearing medals he did not earn to military parades arrested on forgery, child porn charges” – “Orillia man faces child porn, forgery charges” – “Former Gravenhurst man charged with wearing military medals not awarded to him, and possession of child porn”
- “British Army and The Royal Regiment of Canada Artillery School to Discuss Optimising Mortar Technology for Fire Superiority in London This June”
- “Destroying the ‘enemy’ with the Lorne Scots”
- “NATO Membership is Canada’s Disgrace”
- “The Honourable Stéphane Dion, Minister of Foreign Affairs, … announced that he will attend the Meeting of NATO Ministers of Foreign Affairs in Brussels, Belgium, on May 19 and 20, 2016 …” – “The Honourable Stéphane Dion, Minister of Foreign Affairs, today announced that he will travel to North Africa and the Gulf (Tunisia, Saudi Arabia & Egypt) from May 21 to 26, 2016 …”
- “Celebrating 45 years of freefalling – SkyHawks style”
- “Executed Canadian hostage John Ridsdel’s family ‘devastated’ by his death”
- “Executed Canadian hostage John Ridsdel remembered as ‘warm, gracious person’ “
- “Second Canadian still held hostage by al-Qaida-linked terrorists in Philippines”
- “L’otage canadien John Ridsdel a été exécuté”
- “Go get Canadian’s killers, (PHL President) Aquino tells police, military” – “Philippines condemns ‘inhuman’ beheading of Canadian”
- “Muslim leaders condemn ASG for beheading Canadian” – “The Philippine military is coming under increased pressure to rescue more than 20 foreign hostages after their Muslim extremist captors beheaded a Canadian man”
- “Waiting to be freed: 22 foreign hostages in Sulu”
- “Military, police voice condolences over ASG beheading of Canadian”
- “Devastation, anguish after Canadian John Ridsdel killed in Philippines: Analysis”
- “Timeline of John Ridsdel’s kidnapping and execution in the Philippines”
- News search results “John Ridsdel” MILNEWS.ca – Google News – Yahoo News – Bing News
Everyone Else Against ISIL
What’s Canada Buying?
- “Conservative MP Cheryl Gallant misfires again (on who sold the Chinooks in 1991)” – “Defence Cuts Risk Lives” (MP page) – “Defence Cuts Risk Lives” (Dropbox.com)
- “Bureaucrats blocked former Tory government’s desire to buy navy landing ships” – “Des bureaucrates ont freiné les ambitions militaires des conservateurs”
- “CF-18 Life-Extension Risks; Canada looks to fly fighters past the age of 40.”
Canada’s Saudi Arms Deal
- “Canada’s Sale of Military Equipment to Saudis Ignores Rights Violations”
- “Canada ignoring a commitment to human rights with Saudi arms sale”
- “Canadian Forces could move military test facility from Alberta to Ottawa area”
- “Canadian Forces to invest at least $100M in green infrastructure”
- ‘We need to be very selective’: Dion treads carefully on Canada’s peacekeeping role”
- “Operation UNIFIER Joint Task Force media opportunity (tomorrow & Wednesday)” – Op UNIFIER page
- “Canada to support Ukraine in addressing Chornobyl disaster aftermath”
- Speaking of Chernobyl … “(UKR) President opened several events dedicated to 30th anniversary of Chernobyl disaster” – “Test Reveals Radioactive Chernobyl Residue in Milk From Belarus”
- “(Canadian) government resists calls to end Ukraine visa requirements”
- Updates from all sides “Latest from OSCE Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) to Ukraine, based on information received as of 19:30hrs, 24 April 2016” – UKR govt ATO map, 25 Apr 2016 – “Situation in the east of Ukraine as of April 25, 2016” (UKR MoD)– “Situation in the ATO area as of April 25, 2016” (UKR Def Int) – “Situation in the ATO area as of April 25, 2016” (UKR Def Int, in Ukrainian)– “Dmitry Tymchuk: Military update 04.21” – “Donbass militia report shelling of OSCE patrol by Kiev forces” – “Ukrainian military violate ceasefire in Donetsk Republic — ministry” – “Landmines A Bitter Harvest For Donbas Farmers” – “OSCE does not confirm shelling of its mission near Lugansk” – “Militants shell Ukrainian church on a Christian feast”
- “May 9 parade in DPR to feature weapons despite OSCE warnings – Zakharchenko — The authorities of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) have no intention of reacting to the OSCE statements on violation of the Minsk agreements by the May 9 military parade, head of self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic Alexander Zakharchenko stated …”
- “Petro Poroshenko: More than 23,000 Ukrainians have signed military contracts. That’s why we do not declare 7th wave of mobilization” (via UKR MoD page)
- “Oh, those Russians …” “Russian officers Iskuzhenov and Kanaplyanik command units in occupied Donbas – Defense Ministry” – “Intelligence: Russian Black Sea Fleet not ready for combat”
- “Poroshenko appoints new Navy commander” – “Ukraine names Ihor Voronchenko new naval commander” – “President meets with Acting Commander of Ukrainian Navy”
- MH-17/Info-fight “BBC Denies Documentary Blames Ukraine For MH17 Downing” – “BBC Accuses British, Russian Media Of Skewing MH17 Reporting” – “BBC: Sunday Express wrong to say film claims MH17 was downed by Ukraine”
- Savchenko update “Savchenko to Return to Ukraine ‘In Next Few Weeks’ – Poroshenko” – “Russia and Ukraine exchange talks for Nadiya Savchenko are making progress says source”
- Minsk et. al. “Obama: Russia Sanctions Must Remain Until Moscow Complies With Minsk Deal” – “President: Political settlement of situation in Donbas is possible only after implementation of security items of Minsk agreements” – “Possible Normandy Four Meeting on Ukraine Essential”
- Humanitarian hits “Ukraine: Emergency Dashboard, March 2016” (World Food Programme) – “Ukraine: Cluster Guidelines – Structural Repairs and Reconstruction” (UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Shelter Cluster)
- On the political front “Polish economic reformer appointed adviser to Ukrainian president” – “Ukraine needs to smash monopolies, says Polish adviser” – “IMF Counts on New Ukraine Gov’t to Continue Reforms”
- Elsewhere in the ‘hood “U.S. sends F-22 fighters to reassure NATO allies facing Russia”