Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category
- “Supporting Coalition Forces in Iraq with Tactical Aviation” (DND Info-machine)
- DND’s latest on Operation IMPACT
- “Peshmerga yet to receive arms supplies provided by Canada”
- “KRG Seeking Closer Diplomatic Ties with Canada — Kurdistan Region’s top diplomat is requesting that Canada upgrade its current trade office in Erbil to a Consulate General, according to The Canadian Press …”
- “Alberta woman fighting ISIS now part of offensive near Raqqa, video suggests”
- “America’s Emerging ‘Little Sparta’ in the Middle East — The United States is relying more and more on Iraqi-Kurdistan …”
- “Germany will not send new weapons to Kurdish Peshmerga forces”
- “Kurdistan referendum needs parliamentary mandate: PUK, Gorran” – “Kurds Not Waiting for Shi’ite Leader Ammar al-Hakim’s Approval on Independence: MP” – “Shiite delegation urges Kurdish role in post-ISIS Iraq” – “PUK and KDP discuss reactivating parliament for referendum” – “For Iraqi Kurds, Trump Brings Hope for Independence”
- “Qods Force commander to advance Tehran’s influence as ambassador to Iraq”
- “Ontario Contributes $2.5 Million for Emergency Relief Efforts in Yemen, South Sudan, Somalia and Nigeria”
- “Mali’s Desert Climate Is the Doom of Armored Vehicles”
- “Le chef du Pentagone à Djibouti, base américaine stratégique en Afrique”
- “Chinese peacekeeping engineer detachment to Mali passes UN assessment”
- “Piracy back on the rise off Somalia, U.S. military says”
- “Kenyan troops kill 52 al-Shabab fighters in Somalia: military – Deutsche Welle”
- “UK announces new support for security reform in Somalia” (UK MoD)
- “Russia complains to US over exclusion from Syria chemical probe”
- “Jordan rejects Assad claim it plans to send troops to Syria”
- “ISIS moves its capital in Syria”
- “McCain, Brennan, McMaster are Traitors, Co-Conspirators with Israel and Saudi Arabia on False Flag in Syria by White Helmets” (RUS media)
- “Russian Has Become ‘Second Language’ Taught in Syrian Schools, Official Says”
- “The Latest: No Russian troops for Syria’s Assad in IS fight”
- “US forces in Syria kill associate of ISIS leader linked to Istanbul nightclub strike”
- “Attaque «chimique» en Syrie: Lavrov discute par téléphone avec Tillerson”
- “Tillerson reiterates support for OPCW’s investigative mechanism in phone call with Lavrov”
- “Russia Casts More Doubt on the West’s Syria Chemical Attack Narrative”
- “Moscow expects OPCW to send experts to Syria’s Khan Sheikhoun”
- Really??? ” “DPR” ready to coexist with Kyiv as confederation — Leader of the self-proclaimed “Donetsk People’s Republic” (“DPR”) Alexander Zakharchenko does not rule out the confederation format of coexistence of the unrecognized territories in Donbas with the rest of Ukraine …” – “Occupied areas of Donetsk region could return to Ukraine, – militant leader”
- Latest on OSCE Mine Strike in Occupied #UKR “OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine patrol member killed in explosion near Luhansk” (OSCE) – “Canada calls for access and security guarantees for OSCE monitors in Ukraine” (Global Affairs info-machine) – “Comment of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine in connection with the death and injury of OSCE Special Monitoring Mission observers in Ukraine” (MFA of Ukraine info-machine) – “Foreign Ministry statement on the OSCE car explosion in Ukraine” (RUS MFA info-machine) – “LPR People’s Militia expresses its condolences due to SMM OSCE employee death” – “DPR MFA expresses its condolences to the family of the deceased OSCE employee” – “OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine to hold press briefing in Kyiv today (24 Apr)” – “Statement on Tragic Incident in Luhansk by OSCE Special Monitoring Mission Chief Monitor Ertugrul Apakan” – “Spot Report: One SMM patrol member dead, two taken to hospital after vehicle hits possible mine near Pryshyb” – “OSCE SMM to continue its work in Donbas – Apakan” – “SBU sees OSCE vehicle blast in Luhansk region as terror attack” – “Body of OSCE SMM member killed near Luhansk moved to Kyiv-held territory” – “Hug: Deployment of armed mission in Donbas should be taken by OSCE Permanent Council” – “Poroshenko asks Tillerson to revisit UN peacekeepers deployment in Donbas after OSCE incident” – “OSCE Special Monitoring Mission Chief Monitor to visit site of Sunday’s deadly blast” – “Incident with OSCE car explosion must be investigated, perpetrators – punished, – Poroshenko” – “U.S. calls on Moscow to reign in Donbas militants in war-torn eastern Ukraine after deadly blast”
- Separatist Media Take on OSCE Mine Strike “SMM suspends patrols in LPR – source” – “Ukrainian 8th special operations forces regiment might be behind attack on OSCE car” – “Ukrainian 8th special operations forces regiment might be behind attack on OSCE vehicle” – “Ukrainian forces shell OSCE car explosion site – Deinego” – “SMM vehicle drove on mine on the same road it took shortly before the accident”
- Updates from All Sides “Situation Update, east of Ukraine as of morning, April 24, 2017” (UKR MoD) – UKR govt ATO map, 24 Apr 2017 – UKR govt ATO map, 23 Apr 2017 – UKR govt ATO map, 22 Apr 2017 – “28 ceasefire violations recorded in DPR in 24 hours” – “Ukraine’s military launch nearly 700 shells on DPR territory in 24 hours”
- “I Get By with a Little Help from my Friends …” “Tillerson Briefs Poroshenko On Russia Visit, Vows ‘Firm’ Support” – “President had a phone conversation with U.S. Secretary of State” (UKR Pres info-machine) – “Poroshenko, Tillerson discuss Minsk implementation, possible deployment of peacekeepers in Donbas” – Separatist media: “Poroshenko asks US to launch armed intervention in Donbass, as expected” – “Kiev uses OSCE to refuel talks on armed mission in Donbass”
- “U.S. carrier to arrive in Sea of Japan ‘within days,’ Pence says” – “North Korea Threatens To Sink Approaching USS Carl Vinson” – “North Korea readies to conduct 0.5 megaton thermonuclear explosion” (PravdaReport) – “Australia responded to DPRK’s threat of nuclear strike — The Australian Foreign Ministry suggested that the DPRK leadership should think more about the well-being of its citizens …” – “Xi calls for restraint over DPRK tensions in phone conversation with Trump” – “Chinese officials refutes “high alert” of the tension over the Korean Peninsula” – “Chinese FM urges voice of peace, reason over Korean Peninsula issue”
- “PLA navy expands mission, protects interest in open seas”
- “China prepares to launch first indigenously built aircraft carrier” – “Home built aircraft carriers a strategic need” (CHN People’s Daily Online)
- “Chinese defense minister meets with Malaysian counterpart”
- “Singaporean warship visits China”
- “Russia hacked Danish defence for two years, minister tells newspaper” – “Russian Cyberspies Hacked Us For Two Years: Danish Defense Minister” – “Danish Defense Complains of Russian ‘Hacking’, Presents No Evidence”
- “Testing of Russian air defense system Vityaz to be completed by 2017”
- “The Suwalki Gap — the potential European flashpoint Vladimir Putin is keeping a close eye on”
- “Judge lifts publication ban on RCMP case against Vice-Admiral Norman”
- “Accused in naval spy case presses for info on CSIS wiretaps of Chinese Embassy”
- “Terrorism concerns lead to security changes at passport offices”
- “Expulsé du Canada pour avoir menacé l’auteur de la tuerie du 29 janvier à la Mosquée de Québec”
- “Deux Canadiens sur la liste des terroristes du département d’État américain”
- “Ontario police forces share carding data with Mounties, CSIS”
- “Border towns quietly mobilize to help refugees coming to Canada”
- Lux Ex Umbra blog “CANUSA Agreement declassified”
- Colonel Ted: “… The current emphasis on “data flow” is, accurately, described at 6’15” of the linked video, as being essential, but it is neither “totalitarian” or “unlawful.” The fact is that we live in an electronically “noisy” era and the Signals Intelligence services need to penetrate and sift through the noise, you and I and three billion others chattering away, to “harvest” a few nuggets of useful intelligence …”
- “New Option for Canada’s Icebreaker Shortages”
- “Rangers assist evacuation (from Kashechewan)”
- “6000 U.S. military personnel to take part in exercise Northern Edge 2017”
- “Russia Is Deploying Special Anti-Aircraft Missiles to the Arctic”
- “The Messy Consequences of the Arctic’s Thawing Permafrost”
- “Chemical Repellent Treatments … The Department of National Defence (DND), Defence Research and Development Canada in Ralston, Alberta has a requirement to supply and treat fabrics, perform durability conditioning, perform repellency performance testing …”
- “BUOYANCY GARMENTS … Jacket, Buoyancy Aid Black are required for the Department of National Defence to be delivered to the Halifax and Esquimalt warehouses …”
- “C-17 support package for Canada approved by U.S. State Department”
- “Canadian army to modernize training simulation system — Cubic Global Defense was granted the $4.5 million contract to upgrade software and replace hardware for the army’s training simulation system and communications network …”
- “The Government of Canada increases support for mental health services by funding an expansion to the Carewest Operational Stress Injury (OSI) Clinic”
- “Infantry soldier’s story reveals gaps in Canadian Forces’ inquiry system”
- “HMCS Saskatoon seizes 464 kg and assists in disruption of estimated 1,500 kg of cocaine on Operation CARIBBE” – “Op CARIBBE: le NCSM Saskatoon saisit 464 kilos de cocaïne et aide à en intercepter environ 1 500 autres kilos”
- ” ‘Embarrassment to Canadians’: abuse, humiliation occurred at bases across country, soldiers say” – “Military Training or Torture? When Military Exercises Become Too Realistic”
- “Sudbury officer given command of (33) brigade”
- “Une nouvelle présidente au Conseil des gouverneurs du Collège militaire royal de Saint-Jean”
- “Squadron patches created to mark 423 Squadron’s 75th anniversary”
- More Colonel Ted: “… given this Trudeau regime’s evident animus towards the military, massive cuts may be needed before Canadians wake up to the fact that, just like they need but don’t like to pay for insurance and fire departments, they need an efficient (cost effective) and operationally effective military, even if it costs more than many wish to spend …”
- From the Info-machine: “Groundbreaking ceremony — On behalf of Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan, the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Defence, Jean Rioux, and the Member for Chicoutimi – Le Fjord, Denis Lemieux, will be holding a groundbreaking ceremony to inaugurate the beginning of work on the construction of new military facilities in Bagotville …”
- More on the Def Min’s Travels “Canadian national defence minister visits Malaysia” – “Canadian defence minister Sajjan visits (IND) Western Naval Command”
- “Canadian FM Freeland ‘Will Be Talking to Herself’ With Her Anti-Russia Policy”
- “Freeze or thaw? What Freeland’s appointment means for Russia-Canada relations in the Arctic”
- “Conservative leadership candidate retells Vladimir Putin’s ‘hilarious’ joke about murdering your enemies”
- “Lithuania plans to build 45-km fence along border with Russia” – “Lithuania to build fence on border with Russia’s Kaliningrad”
- “US troops’ move into Poland angers Russia” – “US Troops Deployment to Poland is a ‘PR Campaign’ “ (RUS state media) – “Poland as ‘Bargaining Chip’ in Row Between US, Russia ?” (RUS state media) – “Another Viewpoint: Curious timing for US and NATO border buildup”
- “Latvia favors power grid synchronization via Poland”
- “Western amnesia on WWII as NATO replicates Nazi Germany” (RUS state media)
- “Ukraine’s envoy says his government is growing concerned about whether Canada will continue its military support to help the country deter Russian aggression. The mission is set to expire at the end of March …”
- “It could happen here — Ukraine’s power station hack is a stark warning to other countries …”
- Really??? “In Donetsk, the residents are willing to declare an amnesty DNR, who fought against the Republic” (DNR leader page, in Russian) – “In Donetsk to announce amnesty DNR residents who fought against the Republic” (DNR leader page, in Ukrainian)
- “How Russia helps Donbas separatisits – DNR and LNR”
- Ooopsie … “Savchenko admits her POW lists have errors”
- Updates from All Sides “Latest from the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine (SMM), based on information received as of 19:30, 13 January 2017” – UKR govt ATO map, 15 Jan 2017 – “Donetsk Defense: Situation Report, 15.01.2017” – “Donetsk Defense: Situation Report, 14.01.2017” – “Kiev shells DPR 5 thousand times over the week” – “Kiev forces violated ceasefire regime in the LPR nine times” – “Ukraine reports 60 attacks in Donbas in past day, with 1 KIA, 3 WIA’s” – “60 Shellings of Donbass Ukrainian Forces’ Positions Over Past 24 Hours – Reports” – “Occupiers in eastern Ukraine set to escalate confrontation – (UKR DefMin spox) Motuzianyk” – “AFU attempts to capture DPR soldiers, one Republican soldier killed”
- “DPR hands over three bodies of Ukrainian servicemen” – “Authorities DNI handed Ukrainian side of the two prisoners as goodwill gesture” (DNR leader page, in Russian)
- “Ukraine to join verification group at military facilities in Russia’s border zone” – “Russia allowed to Ukraine to hold military inspection in Rostov” – “Ukraine’s Military continues buildup on (separatist) Donetsk border”
- “Relatives of MH17 victims demanded renewed search in Ukraine”
- “The ringleader of the so-called “DPR” Alexander Zakharchenko said he would jam the broadcasts of “Ukrainian Radio” in the occupied territories. He said this at a “press conference” on January 14 …”
… from the CAF/DND Info-machine news release:
“Search and rescue is an essential public service for Canadians from coast to coast to coast. That’s why the Government of Canada is building a more agile, better-equipped military, while ensuring the best value for Canadians.
Following a rigorous, open and transparent competition, the Government of Canada today announced the awarding of a contract for $2.4 billion to Airbus Defence and Space to replace Canada’s fleets of CC115 Buffalo and legacy CC130 Hercules aircraft. The company has partnered with Newfoundland-based PAL Aerospace for maintenance and support services.The contract will provide a complete, modern and technologically advanced search and rescue solution, including maintenance and support services up to 2043.
As part of this contract, Airbus will provide 16 C295W aircraft, equipped with advanced technology systems, to support Canada’s search and rescue operations, construct a new simulator-equipped training centre in Comox, British Columbia, and provide ongoing maintenance and support services. The contract also includes options to extend the maintenance and support services for an additional 15 years. Should Canada choose to exercise these additional options, the contract value would increase to $4.7 billion.
The new technology being acquired includes state-of-the-art communications systems that will allow search and rescue personnel to share real-time information with partners on the ground. Using integrated sensors, crews will be able to locate persons or objects, such as downed aircraft, from more than 40 kilometres away, even in low-light conditions.
As part of its proposal Airbus Defence and Space has committed to make investments in the Canadian economy equal to the value of the contract, creating and maintaining good middle class jobs. Through Canada’s Industrial and Technological Benefits Policy, the company will incorporate many of Canada’s leading aerospace firms into its global supply chain and establish strategic partnerships with Canadian companies to ensure the aircraft are supported in Canada by Canadians. This work will help grow Canada’s innovative and strong aerospace sector, while providing well-paying jobs for the middle class and those working hard to join it. Quotes
“”In a country as large as Canada, our search and rescue personnel must have the right equipment to face the varying challenges they encounter every day. Working closely with partners through a fair, open competition, we have selected aircraft and advanced technology that will ensure the safety of Canadians from coast to coast to coast while providing good middle class jobs.”” The Honourable Judy M. Foote
Minister of Public Services and Procurement
“”Members of the Royal Canadian Air Force search and rescue community are among the best trained in the world and respond to incidents in every type of environment, whether in the Arctic, over the Rockies or in the middle of the ocean. Canadians in distress can count on them to give their very best to save lives. With this technology, we are giving our women and men in uniform the tools they need to continue to deliver effective and essential search and rescue operations.”” The Honourable Harjit S. Sajjan
Minister of National Defence
“”Through the Industrial and Technological Benefits Policy, 100 percent of the contract value will be invested into the Canadian economy. Airbus Defence and Space will ensure that the maintenance, training, repair and overhaul work of the aircraft are performed in Canada which will create high-value, well-paying jobs for middle class Canadians and generate sustainability and growth for Canada’s aerospace and defence sector.”” The Honourable Navdeep Bains
Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development
The Canadian Armed Forces is responsible for providing aeronautical search and rescue operations. In collaboration with federal, provincial/territorial and municipal governments, as well as local search and rescue organizations, the Armed Forces respond to Canadians in distress across the country and at sea.
The initial contract for a period of 11 years is valued at $2.4 billion (plus applicable taxes) and includes 6 years of acquisition and set up, including the construction of a new training centre in Comox, British Columbia, as well as the first 5 years of maintenance and support services.
The contract is performance-based, which means the contractor will only be paid when equipment and services are delivered and accepted by Canada.
The contract also includes options to extend the maintenance and support services for an additional 15 years. Should Canada choose to exercise these additional options, the contract value would increase to $4.7 billion (plus applicable taxes).
A fairness monitor was engaged to oversee and report on the openness and transparency of the procurement process. The fairness monitor’s report identified no fairness‑related issues.
Canada’s CC115 Buffalo and CC130 Hercules have served Canada well over the last 20 to 40 years. These aircraft perform over 350 missions annually and are responsible for saving thousands of Canadian lives every year.
During the transition the existing fleets will continue to be maintained and operated to ensure search and rescue responsibilities …”
More background available by clicking on the link.
Today, the Government of Canada announced that it had selected the Airbus C295W aircraft for its Fixed-Wing Search and Rescue Program.
As part of the FWSAR program, the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) will receive 16 C295Ws modified for Search and Rescue (SAR).
The contract will also include in service support, provided through a joint venture between Airbus Defence and Space and PAL Aerospace.
Simon Jacques, Head of Airbus Defence and Space in Canada said: “We are acutely conscious of the importance of search and rescue in Canada’s vast and challenging territory and we are honoured to have been selected to provide the aircraft and service to ensure that the role is carried out effectively.”
The C295W features substantial Canadian content. Every C295 is powered by Pratt & Whitney Canada engines, pilots and technicians will be trained at a new facility developed by CAE in Comox, BC, and the electro-optical systems for FWSAR will be provided by L3 Wescam of Burlington, ON. In-service support for the life of the program will be provided by AirPro, a joint venture between Airbus Defence and Space and PAL Aerospace of St John’s, Newfoundland. In-service support will be conducted by Canadians in Canada.
Jacques added: “About 20 percent of the aircraft is already Canadian, meaning that it already serves as a global ambassador for the skills, innovation and expertise of Canadians. Now it will get to serve them directly.”
Canada’s C295Ws will be delivered starting three years after contract award. In service, they will join five Airbus CC-150 aircraft used in the air-to-air refueling, transport, and VIP travel roles.
When the contract is finalized, 185 C295s will have been ordered by 25 countries.
About Airbus Defence and Space
Airbus Defence and Space, a division of Airbus Group, is Europe’s number one defence and space enterprise and the second largest space business worldwide. Its activities include space, military aircraft and related systems and services. It employs more than 38,000 people and in 2015 generated revenues of over 13 billion Euros.
For more information visit http://www.C295W.ca.
Strong words, good questions from Colonel Ted – now, we (continue to) wait …
“You, Justin Trudeau and each and every one of the Liberal Party of Canada’s candidates, including you, Minister Kent Hehr, offered yourselves for election on the explicit promise to restore lifelong pensions for wounded veterans …”
- “Africa peacekeeping mission is just an assumption, says country’s top soldier — Canada’s top soldier says an expectation that this country’s military will be deploying to Africa is premature. Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Jonathan Vance said an analysis of where the Armed Forces may go should there be a future deployment is still underway …”
- ” “The Kumbaya thing will not work, especially in Africa,” ex-soldier warns Canadians”
- “Military to provide air transport for French counter-terror mission in Africa” (again?) – “Support to French operations in Mali” (CAF Info-machine, 2013)
- “Canada is (already) conducting small operations in Africa” – “Current Operations: Africa” (CAF Info-machine)
- “Sudan accused of chemical weapons attacks in Darfur” – “Is Sudan using chemical weapons on civilians in Darfur?” – “Sudan government accused of using chemical weapons in Darfur” – “Sudan: Credible evidence of the use of chemical weapons to kill and maim hundreds of civilians including children in Darfur revealed” (Amnesty International) – “OPCW Examining NGO Report on Allegations of Chemical Weapons Use in Sudan” – “OPCW’s Initial Assessment of NGO Report on Allegations of Chemical Weapons Use in Sudan … Without further information and evidence being made available, it is not possible at this stage to draw any conclusions based on the content of the report.”
- “Ex-CIA Director, General Pins ISIS on Former Iraq P.M. al-Maliki”
- “Counter-ISIL Strikes Target Terrorists in Syria, Iraq” (Pentagon Info-machine)
- “The Coming of the Russian Jihad: Part 1”
- “France launches airstrikes against Islamic State from aircraft carrier: Reports” – “French jets join anti-IS coalition in Iraq” – “French military bolsters Iraq presence for Mosul offensive”
- Prep for Mosul (1) “Preparations intensify for Mosul offensive in Iraq”
- Prep for Mosul (2) “UN Prepares for Mass Displacement of Iraqis as Battle Looms to Retake Mosul” – ” ‘Massive crisis’ as 1.5m expected to flee Iraq’s Mosul” – “700,000 will need aid once Mosul offensive begins: UN”
- Prep for Mosul (3) “Iraqi PM, Kurdish leader agree on plan to retake Mosul” – “Iraqi PM tells Kurds not to use Mosul battle to expand territory” – “Parties demand political and administrational guarantees in post-ISIS Mosul”
- “Iraqi air force kills ISIS governor in Hawija, Iraq”
- “Turkish jets destroy PKK targets in northern Iraq”
- Oil Stuff “OPEC Deal Could Fall Apart At The Seams As Iraq Revolts” – “Iraq rules OPEC now”
- “October meeting of NATO defense ministers may take up Syrian situation — source”
- “Large Group of Russian Fighter-Bombers Is Ready to Be Sent to Syria”
- “Overview of Military Situation in Aleppo City on September 30” (southfront.org, pro-RUS OSINT)
- “Aleppo humanitarian catastrophe ‘unlike any’ in Syria, UN says” – “Obama Condemns ‘Barbarous Russian and Syrian Regime Airstrikes’ in Aleppo” – “UN slams Russia, Syria for killing children in Aleppo” – “Syria: MSF urges Syrian government and its allies to stop indiscriminate bombing in Aleppo” (Médecins Sans Frontières)
- “3,800 civilians dead in Russian strikes in Syria: monitor”
- “92 violations of truce registered in Syria over 24 hours — Russian Defense Ministry”
- From RUS state media “US Refusal to Work With Russia on Syria ‘Gift’ for Terrorists” – “US Airstrikes on Syrian Army Possible Cover for Daesh Offensive – Ambassador” – “US-Pushed ‘No-Fly’ Zone in Syria ‘Nothing But Air Cover to Terrorists’ “
- “Russia refuses to budge on Syria”
- “Russia Knows Very Well Where American Intelligence Experts Are Stationed In Syria, So Beware Of Any Threats To Russians !”
- “Ankara to complete Syria border wall within 5 months”
- “Syrian Arab Republic – 2016 UN Inter-Agency Humanitarian Operations (as of 28 September 2016)” (UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs)
- “Canada MP for recognition of Saddam’s Anfal as genocide against Kurds”
- “Islamic leader calls on KRG to reactivate parliament, review salary system” – “Muslim scholar calls on Iraqi Kurdistan govt to reactivate parliament”\ – “Radical Kurdish cleric Mullah Krekar says Kurdistan is bastion of infidelity”
- “Baghdad and Erbil Agree on Closer Cooperation” – “Barzani optimistic about future of Erbil-Baghdad relations” – “Erbil-Baghdad have ‘agreed to solve’ all disputes, Kurdish president says” – “KRG minister unimpressed with Baghdad’s financial pledges to region”
- “Survey Shows 85% of Turkey’s Kurds Demand Peace Talks”
- “Majority of Daesh Militants to Leave Syria for Libya by End of 2016” – “Driving Out ISIS From Libya: What Lies Ahead?” (Nanyang Technological Univ.)
- “It Sure Seems Like Egypt and the UAE Are at War In Libya”
- “Russian Foreign Ministry says arms supplies not discussed with Libya”
- “US Airstrike Hits Daesh Resupply Point in Libya’s Sirte”
- “Hundreds trapped in Libya’s Benghazi amid fighting: Amnesty”
- “Libya: Civilians trapped in Benghazi in desperate conditions as fighting encroaches” (Amnesty International)
- “Controlling Libya’s Wealth: Haftar’s Long Game”
- “Opening of Libyan oil ports leads to boost in production”
- “Canada , Russia to hold conference on Arctic co-operation” – “Canada-Russia Arctic conference set” – “Canada-Russia Arctic Conference Happening Despite ‘Profound’ Differences On Ukraine, Syria”
- “Russia and China to exploit Arctic”
- “Dion vs. Putin ends predictably”
- “An expert’s guide to Putin’s propaganda playbook”
- “Chief of the Russian General Staff noted that it was necessary to expand cooperation of the CIS countries in fields of defence and security” (RUS MoD)
- “Operational evaluation of Russia’s Lada-class lead submarine meets expectations” – “Russia to upgrade only part of nuclear-powered Antey submarines”
- “Russia’s army chief calls on CIS countries to extend defense cooperation”
- “Canadian suspect in terror probe took selfie with Justin Trudeau” – “Man in Trudeau selfie linked to RCMP terror investigation — Police raided Montreal home just months before man snapped photo with PM …”
- “SIRC (Security Intelligence Review Committee) Annual Report 2015-2016” – “Statement from CSIS Director on SIRC Annual Report”
- “Ottawa can’t have it both ways on anti-terror law”
- “The (RCAF)’s (other) Whirlybirds (Part 1)” (NATO Association of Canada)
- NDP petition online: “Stop the sale of Canadian weapons to human rights abusers”
- Wanted: Someone to move a hangar on the west coast “Public Works and Government Services Canada (PWGSC), on behalf of the Department of National Defence (DND), require the relocation of 443 (MH) Squadron from various locations at Victoria International Airport to their new hangar at 9755 Willingdon Road, North Saanich, British Columbia …”
- Wanted: Someone to take care of the buildings, grounds @ Dwyer Hill “Defence Construction Canada (DCC) is calling for Facilities Maintenance firms to provide proposals to carry out the required Facilities Maintenance Services for buildings and associated areas for the Dwyer Hill Training Centre in Richmond, Ontario …”
- Wanted: Someplace to stay next year during the 100th anniversary of Vimy “The Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) will conduct Op DISTINCTION events to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge in France in April 2017 …”
- “Serco to continue Canadian (Goose Bay) base support”
- “Veterans Affairs senior bureaucrats raked in bonuses while closing offices, feuding with ex-soldiers”
- 3D’s Mark Collins: “Canada Should Just Say “Yes” to Missile Defence, Cont’d (plus Russian cruise missile threat)”
- “La frégate multi-missions française Languedoc au Vieux-Port de Montréal”
- “Infanteer has been there, done that and painted a lot of it”
Deep breaths all round, folks …
“FSB Russia prevented the commission of the Republic of Crimea terrorist attacks prepared by the Chief Directorate of Intelligence of the Ministry of Defence of Ukraine” (news release, in Russian) – Google English translation here:
Federal Security Service prevented the commission of the Republic of Crimea terrorist attacks prepared by the General Directorate of the Ministry of Intelligence of Defense of Ukraine, the objects of which critical infrastructure and livelihood of the peninsula have been identified.
The purpose of sabotage and terrorist attacks – to destabilize the social and political situation in the region during the preparation and conduct of elections of the federal and regional authorities.
As a result of operational search activities on the night of the 6th of August 7th, 2016 in the region of the Armenian Republic of Crimea discovered a group of saboteurs. During the arrest the terrorists as a result of fire contact the Russian FSB officer died. At the site of clashes found 20 improvised explosive devices with a total capacity of more than 40 kilograms of TNT, ammunition and special means of initiation, regular and anti magnetic mines, as well as grenades and special weapons, consisting armed special units of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
The measures taken on the peninsula of Crimea eliminated intelligence network Chief of the Defence Intelligence of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. Detained persons from among the citizens of Ukraine and the Russian Federation shall be assisted in the preparation of terrorist acts, which give a confession. One of the organizers of the terrorist attacks is prevented Evgeny Panov, born in 1977, resident of Zaporozhye region, a member of the DIU who is also detained and giving a confession.
On the night of August 8, 2016 Ukrainian Defense Ministry special forces were made two more attempts to break the subversive and terrorist groups that prevented law enforcement units of the FSB of Russia and cooperating agencies. Attempts to break camouflage massive bombardment from the neighboring state and armored vehicles of the armed forces of Ukraine. During the fire contact serviceman killed Defense Ministry.
Based on the results of investigative activities and combat the investigation department of FSB of Russia in the Republic of Crimea and the city of Sevastopol prosecuted. Conduct additional operational activities and investigations.
Adopted additional security measures in public places and the rest of people, as well as for the protection of critical infrastructure and livelihood. Strengthened border regime on the border with Ukraine.
This, meanwhile, from UKR Defence Intelligence (original in Ukrainian) …
“The grouping of Russian troops in the Crimean out the anti-terrorist measures threats … “We do not exclude provocations, which can be implemented on the territory of Russia occupied Crimea and other occupied territories of our country,” – said the representative of the Defence Intelligence of Ukraine.”
… with this reminder from UKR DefInt (also in Ukrainian): “Russian forces in Crimea are able to use nuclear weapons”
Also, this, from the UKR MoD (in Ukrainian) … “Statements FSB untrue”
… as well as Ukraine’s Security Service: “SBU denies Russian security agency claims about Ukrainian diversionary group in Crimea”
Various media takes …
- “Russia accuses Ukraine of armed Crimea incursion, says two killed” (Reuters, UK-based wire service)
- “Russia accuses Ukraine of attempted Crimea ‘incursions’ “ (BBC)
- “Russian FSB foils terrorist attacks plotted by Ukrainian intel agents in Crimea” (RT, RUS state TV)
- “Russia allegedly arrests Ukraine Spec Ops who planned terrorist attacks in Crimea” (Ukraine Today,
- “SBU: Ukraine does not try to regain Crimea by force” (112-international, UKR private media)
- “Ukrainian General Staff Denies Kiev Involved in Plotting Attacks in Crimea” (RIA Novosti, RUS state media)
- “Attempts to Destabilize Crimea Will Be Met With Tough Response” (RIA Novosti, RUS state media)
More from Google News here.
Let’s see how this shakes out, then …