- “New Ukrainian army needs new traditions, new uniform and new knowledge – President about the achievements of volunteers” – “Ukraine’s Defense Ministry presents new military uniform”
- “Azov Battalion Commander Found Dead”
- “Ukrainian border guards say didn’t shoot at Russian citizens near border checkpoint” – “Information on the use of weapons by citizens of the territory of Ukraine is purely provocative nature” (UKR Border Service, in Ukrainian)
- “Families of Ukrainian military personnel to be provided with long-term loans for housing”
- “Poroshenko says Ukrainian soldiers to get cards for food, material provisions”
- “SBU detains promoters of another self-styled pseudo republic”
Mariupol & Environs
- “President: Mariupol is the eastern outpost that will be defended by Ukraine” – “Mariupol not part of buffer zone – President”
Oh, Those Russians ….
- “Russia stands for Ukraine’s territorial integrity — PM”
- “Russian PSNR-8M Portable Ground Reconnaissance Station in the Arsenal of Separatists of the DPR”
The Humanitarian Crisis
- “Ukraine’s richest man Rinat Akmetov warns of aid blockade in the east” – “Major aid donor to war-stricken eastern Ukraine says rebels blocking supplies”
- “Hidden Emergency: Kiev Slammed Over Ukraine’s Humanitarian Crisis”
- “Expert calls Ukraine Constitutional Court’s meeting on new amendments mere formality — According to the director of Russia’s Center for Current Politics Kiev will have to negotiate with the self-proclaimed republics and then adopt the amendments coordinated with them ….”
- “No Ukrainian soldiers deployed at Avdiyivka coke plant – JCCC”
- “Deserted burial site found in east Ukraine by DPR militia”
- “A Heartfelt Letter to the Canadian Delegation of NATO” – Canada at NATO (@CanadaNATO)
- “Poroshenko’s go-ahead needed to forward case against Russia, self-proclaimed Donbas republics to ICC – PGO”
- “Poroshenko says Russia agrees with ICRC participation in captives release” – “SBU source: about 200 Ukrainians held captive by Russian proxies”
- UKR govt ATO map, 27 Jul 2015
- “Spot report: Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine (SMM) patrol is caught in fire in Shchastia but comes out unharmed”
- “A Strategic Ukrainian Factory In The Line Of Fire”
The Right Sector
- “Security officers of countries bordering on Zakarpattia region to come to Uzhgorod to examine situation with cigarettes smuggling – governor” – “Security officers of Zakarpattia region neighbor states to come to Uzhgorod”
Mariupol & Environs
- “Mariupol not part of buffer zone along contact line – Poroshenko”
- “MP Semenchenko: order to withdraw from Shyrokyne becomes classified”
Oh, those Russians ….
- “Three Spetsnaz Soldiers of the 16th Brigade Killed in Ukraine in May were Identified”
- “Where Do Russians Send T-80 Tanks?”
- “Construction of railway circumventing Ukraine proceeds ahead of timetable – Russian Defense Ministry”
- “Ukraine’s Constitutional Court begins hearing amendments on decentralization of power”
- “Head of Ukrainian Constitutional Court hurt in road accident, is in intensive care” – “Head of Ukrainian Constitutional Court hurt in road accident, is in intensive care – court press service”
The Humanitarian Crisis
- “Joint Call Regarding Health Crisis in Donbas, East Ukraine” (The Global Fund)
- “Ukraine: Cash Assistance Post-distribution Monitoring (2014-2015): Summary report – June 2015″ (UNHCR)
Kirby Tott, R.I.P.
- “Canadian Forces Reserve soldier dies during training CFB Shilo” – “Military says Canadian reservist died while training at base in Manitoba” – “(Prince George) reservist killed during training”
- More: Google News search “Kirby Tott” – Yahoo News search “Kirby Tott” – Bing.ca News search “Kirby Tott”
- CF statement: “Canadian Forces Soldier Dies During Training”
- “Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada on the death of a Canadian Armed Forces member” – “Minister Kenney issues a statement on the death of Pte Tott in CFB Shilo” – “General Vance issues a statement on the death of Pte Tott in CFB Shilo” – “Commander Canadian Army Statement on the death of Pte Kirby Tott”
- “Westerners (including Canadians) volunteer with Kurdish militia against ISIL”
- “DND has ‘no plans’ to launch missions from Turkish bases” – “RCAF has ‘no plans’ to launch missions from Turkish bases”
- “Turkey Jets Bomb ISIS, Kurds a Second Time” – “Turkey Expands Campaign against ISIS and the PKK”
- “Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq” – “Military airstrikes continue against ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq”
- “The Resurgence of ISIS in Diyala and its Implications for Iranian Proxies”
Sexual Assault/Harassment in the CF
- “Gen. Jonathan Vance says military ‘blind to or tone-deaf to’ sexual misconduct” – “Top general warns that sexual harassment ‘stops now’ “
- “Canada’s top general vows more support for sexual assault victims”
- “CSE warns of insider threats”
- “File breach at CSE prompts mandatory privacy training”
- “Anonymous says it hacked Canada’s security secrets in retaliation for police shooting of B.C. activist”
- “Canada and Pakistan in talks over fate of terrorist group member Mohammed Aqeeq Ansari”
- “(Public Safety Canada) funding a project to study why Canadians convert to Islam”
- “Harper is Finally Right: the Canadian Election is About Security Versus Risk”
- “Canadian terrorism trials reveal use of entrapment by police and intelligence agencies”
- “As acts of war, attacks like Chattanooga are small beer”
Way Up North
- “Government of Canada Supports Improved Monitoring of Canada’s Arctic Waters”
- “Camp Helped Build Leadership Skills for Junior Canadian Rangers”
- “Arctic Fortress: Russia Creating Air Force, Air Defense Forces for Northern Fleet”
- “Russia to Hold First Arctic Drills on Strategic Facilities Defense in 2015″
Veterans & Helping Veterans
- “Feds won’t shell out for old gunner”
- “Feds to fund national standard development of horse therapy for injured veteran”
- “The Gender Dimension of Veteran Reintegration: For Each According to Their Needs”
- “Killers of police dogs, service animals could get five years under Quanto’s Law”
- “A journey by horseback raises awareness of Canada’s changing veterans”
- “Transport Canada joins the Canada Company Military Employment Transition Program”
- “Disability victory for veterans”
- “Roseville war veteran honored at 90th birthday”
- “The Honourable Erin O’Toole, Minister of Veterans Affairs, will make an announcement regarding mental health supports for Veterans (this morning) ….”
- “Army commander is (Glengarry Highland) games guest of honour” –
- “Truro councillor (& former CF member) Greg MacArthur faces 37 charges” – “Councillor in Nova Scotia facing 36 criminal charges including 28 related to fraud”
- “Space surgeon”
- Commentary “PM talks tough, but neglects Canadian navy”
- “Sgt. Gander returns home — The weather may have been cold, wet and dreary but the mood was one of excitement and pride, as dignitaries gathered to officially open the Gander Heritage Memorial Park ….”
- “Armoured Vehicles taken off display and set into motion”
World War Two
This from The Canadian Press:
A Canadian soldier in the reserves has died while training at a military base in Manitoba.
The military issued a news release saying that Pte. Kirby Tott died suddenly Saturday afternoon at Canadian Forces Base Shilo.
The release provides no details on the circumstances, but notes Tott was taking his basic reserve infantry training at Shilo with the 3rd Canadian Division Training Centre.
It says the death is under investigation and that an autopsy will be conducted.
The release says Tott joined the Canadian Armed Forces as a reservist with the Rocky Mountain Rangers in Prince George, B.C., in 2012.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued a statement offering his condolences to Tott’s family.
Condolences to family, colleagues and friends.
More, as it unfolds ….
- “Ukrainian rebels make fake video using weapons from the game ‘Battlefield 3’ “
- “Russia gives rebels its newest reconnaissance system — According to journalists and activists Russia has deployed various communications radio electronic reconnaissance drones and jamming systems in Donbas ….” – “Russian complex ground reconnaissance PSNR-8M arsenal NFP “Khan” “DNR” “ (in Ukrainian)
- “Lugansk law enforcement to prevent illegal export of military equipment from the zone of ATO” (UKR MIA, in Russian)
- “Tax police seized half a million hryvnia (CDN $29.6 million) during attempt to export it from occupied territory”
- “SBU blocked the transfer of the State Treasury 110 million hryvnia (CDN $6.5 million) “Mako Trading” “ (in Ukrainian)
- “CEC Chairman: Voting in Chernihiv passed without major violations” (in Ukrainian) – “Mid-term elections start in Chernihiv (constituency No.205)” – “According to CEC preliminary data, parliamentary by-election turnout in the 205 th District in Chernigov is 30.15%” (in Ukrainian) – “CEC Chairman: Voting in Chernihiv passed without major violations” (in Ukrainian)
- “In Chernihiv posts about mining proved to be false — The duty of the Chernihiv city police department anonymous caller informed about mining. Having surveyed the building, the police found no explosives ….” (UKR MIA, in Russian)
Mariupol & Environs
- “Paramilitaries Withdraw from Disputed Ukrainian City (Shirokino)” – “Military command denies withdrawal of Azov and Aidar battalions from east Ukraine conflict zone”
Oh, those Russians ….
- “Ukraine Detains Alleged Russian Officer In East”
- ” “11 friends of Putin”: self-intelligence 18th OMSBr Donbas” (in Ukrainian)
- “Russian Admiral Declares Comeback of Russia’s Black Sea Fleet” – “Russia’s Black Sea Fleet Gets Significant Boost for First Time After Pause”
- “Preparing for a War in 2025, Putin Wants New Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact to Divide Up Ukraine, Felgengauer Says”
- “Ukrainian Border Guard Opens Fire at Russian Tourists Getting Selfie”
- “Ukraine Church leaders reject constitutional move on same-sex rights”
More on the “not-Russians” not in Ukraine ….
Originally posted on To Inform is to Influence:
Captured Russian ammunition
These reports really damage Russia’s story that they are not directly participating in the Ukraine war.
The capture of a Russian major, the capture of so much ammunition, in a truck with Russian unit markings, accompanied by a representative of an illegal armed group.
In reaction, the Russian-backed militants denied having ever received supplies of ammunition from Russia before and now’, instead blaming Ukrainian Special Forces for staging the catch. That’s according to quotes carried by Russia’s Interfax news agency.
Russia: deny, deny, deny.
How much proof does Obama, Europe and the rest of the world need to definitively state Russia is directly involved in Ukraine?
Ukraine’s Border Guard Service stopped two men late on July 25 leaving the militant-stronghold city
A Russian army officer travelling in a truck, full of ammunition, has been arrested by Ukrainian Border Guardsjust outside of the militant-held city of…
View original 193 more words
- “Russian army officer in truck full of ammunition arrested near Donetsk” – “UKR border guards seize “KAMAZ” ammunition truck, Russian military at control posts “Berezove” “ (UKR Border Service, in Ukrainian) – “Russian army officer captured on Ukrainian checkpoint near Donetsk with a truck full of ammo” – “Donetsk Republic knows nothing about stopped KAMAZ with weapons”
- “All ATO forces units remain at positions as scheduled rotation of Azov and Aidar battalions continues” – “ATO Headquarters denies withdrawal of Azov and Aidar battalions” – “ATO Staff Denies Reports About the Withdrawal Of Two Battalions” – “Press Staff ATO authorized to state: some widespread media reports on allocation units of the battalion “Azov” from positions near Shyrokyne and battalion “Aydar” in Lugansk direction untrue” (UKR govt, in Ukrainian)
- Right Sector reports web page under DOS attack (Right Sector vk.com page, in Ukrainian)
- “Latest from OSCE Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) to Ukraine based on information received as of 19:30 (Kyiv time), 24 July 2015″
- UKR govt ATO map, 26 July 2015
- “Donetsk unable to search for bodies of killed militia in shelled airport”
- “Mid-term elections start in Chernihiv (constituency No.205)”
- “In Chernihiv, as of 9 am, gross violations of public order at polling stations is not seen” (UKR MIA, in Russian) – “14 hour police recorded 21 minor violations of the election in District 205 in Chernigov” (UKR MIA, in Ukrainian)
- “MIA Ukraine in Chernihiv region, observers visited the Special Monitoring Mission of OSCE in Ukraine” (UKR MIA, in Ukrainian)
- “Police must defend the expression of citizens’ will – President about the elections in the 205th district” (UKR president page)
- “Crimean Residents Find Quiet Ways To Protest Russian Occupation And Display Ties To Ukraine – OpEd”
- “French lawmaker compares Crimea to southern France where “everything is normal” “
The Humanitarian Crisis
- “40 Tons Of Foods Sent In Occupied Territories Of Donbas”
- “Russian Emergencies Ministry’s aircraft performed aeromedical evacuation of 32 seriously ill children from Rostov-on-Don to Moscow”
- “Volunteer assault troops of Ministry of Defence of Ukraine to represent new developments in reforms implementation” (UKR MoD)
- “In Kharkiv, the military police have received new Saxon (AFV’s)” (UKR MoD, in Ukrainian)
- “In Kharkov military police took the oath of allegiance to the Ukrainian people” (UKR MoD, in Ukrainian)
- “Russia Won’t Renew Gas Contract With Ukraine”
- “Ukraine Military Seeks to Modernize Past Soviet Era”